|Information you give us||
|Information we collect automatically||
|Encryption, and keeping your information safe||
|Storing and processing your information||
|What we do with your information||
|Your rights over your information||
If you are under 18,
- you are only permitted to log in to Sumdog as a Student User;
- before you can log in as a Student User, a parent, guardian or teacher must create an account for you. They do this by first creating a parent or teacher account for themselves.
- we will not ask you to enter information that, by itself, is considered personal information.
If we discover that we have collected personal information from anyone under 18 without permission from someone with the authority to give permission, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that this has happened, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not ask Student Users to enter any information that, in itself, is considered personal information.
Sumdog's writing games are the only place where students are asked to input text as an answer. Their access to these games is controlled by the Parent and Teacher users linked to their account.
When they play these writing games, we remind them not to enter any personal information. Sumdog does its best to enforce this rule automatically. To help provide the safest possible environment, we permit teachers and parents to view what each child has written.
We collect the following personal information from Parent Users.
On sign-up, Parents Users enter their:
- first & last name
- email address & password
Parent Users then enter information about each of their children:
- first and last name
- date of birth
- school login details
Parent Users may also send an email invite to other parents by entering their names & email addresses.
If Parent Users choose to subscribe to premium services, they enter:
- postal address
- payment method details
The following personal information is collected from Teacher Users.
On sign-up, Teacher Users enter their:
- first & last name
- email address & password
- school name and address
Teacher Users may then enter information about their students:
- first and last name
- grade level or school year
In the future, we may ask teachers to enter the date of birth of students. If we do this, it will always be optional.
Teacher Users may also invite other teachers, by entering their names and email addresses.
All users can choose the gender and visual appearance of their on-screen avatar. They can also specify profile details, such as their favorite Sumdog game.
In order to provide the best possible service, we reserve the right to extend the types of information we ask users to give us.
You can choose not to give us your information. However, this will prevent you from using most parts of Sumdog.
When you use Sumdog, we may collect the following information automatically:
- educational data from your activity on Sumdog, for example accuracy and speed of answers to Sumdog's questions;
- text written in Sumdog's writing games;
- data on your use of Sumdog, for example the last time you logged in;
- communications you have made with other Sumdog users;
- technical information, for example the device you use, your operating system and your IP address.
The data we collect automatically may be linked to your account and to the personal information that you have given us.
Some of the information that we collect from Student Users may be accessed by the Parent Users in their Sumdog Family, or the Teacher Users linked to their Sumdog School.
We also use analytics software to help us understand how Sumdog is used. Information recorded by this software is anonymized, and cannot be related to individuals. To help us optimise our email communication, we may use customised links, or small images called web beacons. These allow us to understand how our messages are received by our users.
In order to provide the best possible service, we reserve the right to extend the types of information we automatically collect from users.
We use small files called Cookies to help make Sumdog easier to use, and to help us improve the site for you. We store these Cookies on your computer.
Cookies can't be used to identify you personally. They simply let us know when you return to the site. This helps us, for example, to remember that you're logged in, or to remember the settings you chose on your previous visit. We store them in the Cookies folder on your computer.
Here's a table describing the Cookies we use:
|Cookie name||What it's for|
|browsercheck||Tests whether your browser can use Sumdog's other Cookies|
|NRAGENT, __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmz||Monitor Sumdog's performance and speed, and helping us understand how the site is used, so we can optimize it for you|
|_sumdog, JSESSIONID, sumdog_shared_cookie||Recognize and coordinate your login across Sumdog's servers|
|default_school||Identifies your school code, so you can log in more easily|
You can find out more what Cookies are, and how to manage them, here: http://www.aboutcookies.org/. Please remember, though, that some of Sumdog's services won't work properly if you block Cookies.
Your information is stored and processed on our servers. The only exception to this is payment card details: for security reasons, these are stored by our payment service provider.
While your information is being transferred to our servers, it is encrypted using SSL. This helps to protect it in transit.
Information we collect on student users will only be stored and processed in the United States of America or the European Union. Depending on your location, we may need to transfer it to these places. Transfers of this information from the European Union to the USA will be done under the terms of the Model Contract Clauses approved by the European Commission.
We also collect information from teacher and parent users that doesn't relate to individual students - for example, in our online accounting systems. We may transfer this information to other countries. If you are from the European Union, and we need to transfer this information to countries outside the EU, we will undertake due diligence to ensure that the transfer complies with the UK Data Protection Act.
Suppliers of support services to Sumdog - for example, the provider of our data storage - may process any of the information we collect on our behalf.
We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that this information is treated securely.
Your information is used during the normal functioning of the Sumdog service. This may include:
- personalizing Sumdog for you;
- informing you about our services, or to help you to use them, such as telling you about a new Sumdog game, or notifying you of the end of a trial period;
- identify and where necessary act against improper or illegal use of Sumdog. This helps keep Sumdog safe for all of our users;
- analyze usage patterns or request feedback from you about our services so that we may improve the service
If we need to use your personal information for any other purposes, other than the normal functioning of the Sumdog service we will seek your permission prior to doing so.
We will not use your personal information to develop a personal profile of you.
If you have given us your email address, we may send you messages via email. This may include information about new features or services, or about your usage of the site, or the usage of others in your Sumdog School or Sumdog Family. To choose which types of email you receive from us, please go to http://www.sumdog.com/emails/. Please note that there are certain emails that you can't opt out of receiving, unless you delete your account entirely, as these are concerned with the administration of your account.
We will not use students' personal information for targeted advertising.
Data Deletion Policy
Parent Users or Teacher Users may ask us to delete personal information held in a Sumdog Family or Sumdog School linked to their account by contacting us as described below. We will do this within 30 days of your request.
If you sign up as a Teacher User or a Parent User, and you do not confirm your email address within 30 days of signing up, we will automatically delete your information.
The following information will not be deleted:
- after a request to delete a Sumdog Family, the Student User accounts will not be deleted if they are also linked with a Sumdog School.
- after a request to delete a Sumdog School, the Student User accounts will not be deleted if they are also linked with a Sumdog Family.
- any information required to protect the safety of other Sumdog Users will not be deleted; for example, we keep the conversations held in writing games in case we need to investigate claims of abuse.
We may also use aggregated data that has been derived from your Information after you have deleted it. However, this will not be in any way that might identify you personally.
We will keep your personal information as long as your Sumdog account exists. We may also need to keep your information to comply with our legal obligations, or to resolve disputes or enforce our agreements.
We reserve the right to delete your account after a long period of inactivity. We will make reasonable efforts to contact you using either Parent User or Teacher User email addresses before we do so.
Generally, we will keep your information confidential, except:
- where we believe in good faith that disclosure is required by law;
- to protect the rights or safety of Sumdog's users;
- to protect the property or rights of Sumdog or its employees;
- there has been a clear breach of our licensing terms. In this case we may share information with our partners, lawyers and/or law enforcement agencies in the relevant country;
- if you are a Student User, and your login is linked to a Sumdog School; in this case, any Teacher Users who are members of that Sumdog School will be able to access your information;
- if you are a Student User, and your login is linked to a Sumdog Family; in this case, any Parent Users who are members of that family will be able to access your information;
- when you have made a sales or support enquiry from a country in which we work with a partner, in which case we may forward your information to them;
- where the information you have given us is used on a profile that can be accessed by other users, or in an activity where it is shared with other users, such as one of Sumdog's writing games;
- when you have given explicit permission to pass your information to a third party.
Except as described here, or where authorised by you in writing, we will not pass on your information to any other party.
We may link information about how you use Sumdog to the Personal Information that we collect, but we will only use this linked information internally, and will not disclose it.
We may share statistics derived from aggregated information with our partners worldwide. These statistics do not enable our partners to identify you.
Change in control
If there is a change in ownership of Sumdog Ltd, or a transfer of some of its assets, or in the unlikely event of it ceasing to continue trading, entering bankruptcy, or similar, your information may be transferred to a third party.
If you enter offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content on our websites, we may use the information you have given us to stop such behavior.
Where we believe in good faith that you are or may be in breach of any law, or that your safety is at risk, we may use the information you have given us to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school, e-mail/internet provider or law enforcement agencies.
If we permit you to add information to create a public profile on Sumdog, this information may be displayed to other users. You should bear in mind that whenever you disclose information online, for example as part of a public profile, or in written communications on the site, it may be available to other users, who may be able to collect and use it without either Us or you knowing.
We do not carry any paid advertising on Sumdog.
As part of the provision of Sumdog, we may contract third parties to provide services which require us to share your information with them. Examples of this include sending you messages by email, storing or processing data, and processing payment. These third parties have no right to use your information except as required to provide these services.
Your information is protected by your password. We also take all reasonable steps to prevent attack on Sumdog.
Parent Users and Teacher Users are responsible for using their best efforts to select and protect their login details, including restricting access to your Sumdog account, and logging off after using Sumdog.
We will use all reasonable efforts to keep your information private, but like any internet service provider, we cannot absolutely guarantee this. It is always possible that the security of your information may be compromised, for example by unauthorized access, or by failure of hardware or software.
Under the Data Protection Act in the UK, Parent Users have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We may charge for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved photographic identification). We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files. Please send requests by post to the Data Protection Manager at the address above.
Updated March 5, 2015