We are committed to protecting your personal information. This policy covers our use of any personal information we obtain from you when you use Sumdog.
When you sign up for one of our services we may ask for personal information about you, such as your name, date of birth, your job and email address. By entering these details accurately it enables us to provide the best possible service.
Most of your information is stored on our servers. We may transfer your information to other countries for processing and storage. However, except in the special cases described below, we will only do this in locations that follow the "Safe harbor" regulations (http://www.export.gov/safeharbor). We also use small files (such as cookies and licence files) to store some information on your computer. This reduces the amount of form filling required each time you use our websites or software.
With certain services we also look at your IP address and other data that identifies your computer and country. We use this to personalise your user experience for a particular country and to detect illegal use of our software. This information is not used to develop a personal profile of you.
We keep the emails you send to us about queries you may have. We do this so we can track the quality of our service.
We will use your personal information as follows:
- to provide you with information in order to help you use one of our services, such as sending you an email notifying you of the end of a service trial period;
- to personalise our services for you
- to provide you with your licensing or login information.
- to identify breaches of our licensing terms, so in the worst cases of abuse we may take action against illegal use. This helps maintain free services and lower prices for our law-abiding customers;
- to process orders for, and administer, your Sumdog Subscriptions;
- to request feedback from you about our services so that we may improve the service; and
- to inform you of other & upgraded services that may be of use to you. If you do not wish to receive this information you may opt out.
Where Crocodile Clips uses your personal information for any other uses we will seek your permission prior to doing so.
We use small files called Cookies to help make Sumdog easier to use, and to help us improve the site for you. We store these Cookies on your computer.
Cookies can't be used to identify you personally. They simply let us know when you return to the site. This helps us, for example, to remember that you're logged in, or to remember the settings you chose on your previous visit. We store them in the Cookies folder on your computer.
The Cookies we use
Here's a table describing the Cookies we use:
|Cookie name||What it's for|
|browsercheck||Tests whether your browser can use Sumdog's other Cookies|
|NRAGENT, __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmz||Monitor Sumdog's performance and speed, and helping us understand how the site is used, so we can optimize it for you|
|_sumdog, JSESSIONID, sumdog_shared_cookie||Recognize and coordinate your login across Sumdog's servers|
|default_school||Identifies your school code, so you can use Quick Login more easily|
Find out more about Cookies
You can find out more what Cookies are, and how to manage them, here: http://www.aboutcookies.org/. Please remember, though, that some of Sumdog's services won't work properly if you block Cookies.
If you are aged under 18, please get your parent or guardian's permission before providing us with personal information. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
Parents can write to us using the address below to find out what information we hold on their children, or to request that we delete it.
Generally, we will keep your information confidential except:
- where disclosure is required by law;
- there has been a clear breach of our licensing terms. In this case we may share information with our partners, lawyers and/or law enforcement agencies in the relevant country;
- if you have a student login, and it's linked to a Sumdog school account, anyone signed up to Sumdog as a teacher at that school will be able to access your login details, and data from the questions you've answered on Sumdog;
- if you have a student account, and it's linked to a Sumdog family account, anyone signed up to Sumdog as a parent in that family will be able to access your login details, and data from the questions you've answered on Sumdog;
- when you have made a sales or support enquiry from a country in which we work with a partner, in which case we may forward your enquiry to them; or
- if you're registered as a teacher in a school in Australia or New Zealand; here, we're running Sumdog contests in partnership with Edsoft Pty, and we may allow them to access your data;
- when you have provided explicit permission to pass your information to a third party.
Except as described here, or where authorised by you in writing, we will not pass on your Personal Data to any other party.
In addition, we share statistics derived from collected information with our partners worldwide. The statistics do not enable our partners to identify you.
If you post offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content on our websites, we may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where we believe that you are or may be in breach of any law, we may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school, e-mail/internet provider or law enforcement agencies.
Under the Data Protection Act in the UK you have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We charge £10 for information requests and will require you to prove your identity with 2 pieces of approved photographic identification). We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
Please send requests by post to the Data Protection Manager at the address below.
If you have any query regarding this policy please write to the Data Protection Manager, Crocodile Clips Limited, 43 Queensferry Street Lane, Edinburgh, EH2 4PF, Scotland, or telephone 0131 226 1511 (+44 131 226 1511 from outside the UK), or e-mail email@example.com. You can also use our online form to contact us.